The Restaurant at the end of the Pier
Built in 1904, the St. Kilda Pavillion is an historic kiosk which lies at the end of St. Kilda Pier in Melbourne. Until the 1930s, it used to be known as Parer’s Pavilion. Its real name, however, was the Australia Refreshment Rooms. In the 1930s, it was christened Kerby’s Kiosk after the family that was involved in running it from 1934 through to 1987. It was completely destroyed on the 11th of September 2003 in a fire.
Massive public support helped rebuild the kiosk to the original plans from 1903. The reconstructed structure reopened in 2006 and incorporated the cast iron roof, the decorated cresting and the weather vane that were salvaged from original structure. It operates as a restaurant and is a favourite haunt of many Melburnians. Behind this structure extends a breakwater where Fairy Penguins come to roost at sunset.